Saturday, May 11, 2013

My first 5k

Today I ran my first 5k! It was pretty epic.

I ran in the Susan G. Komen 'Race for the Cure.'  There were a lot of people! I did not expect it to be such a large event, but it was truly awesome! There were all sorts of vendors giving out free stuff and bands, even a special tent for survivors where we got pancakes, pictures taken, and loads of free swag! (The friend I ran with is a survivor) There were girls in pink tutus and a couple caped super heros. So much pink!! Even I bought a pink shirt for the race. I had no idea what to expect, but it was so amazing to see all these people out supporting such a great cause.

We were able to squeeze our way to the front for the beginning of the race. When they fired the gun, a wave of pink poured out onto State street of Salt Lake City! I kept up with my friend for a block or so, but she soon left me in the dust. That's ok, my goal wasn't to beat anybody, I just wanted to run the whole thing and not stop. I definitely was able to accomplish my goal, even got 'pinked' and got a cool pair of pink sunglasses. It was pretty neat how fast the race went by, there were so  many people, even bamds strategicallh lined up along the path. Before ai knew it, I had made the halfway point and was getting water. Then I hit the two mile marker. I remember thinking to myself, 'does that mean I ran two miles or that I just got to the second mile?'

My friend finished before me and came back to run the rest of the way with me. It was perfect timing because I was starting to wear down and had slowed down considerably from my starting pace. But having her next to me, I had a surge of energy and with the finish line in the distance, I picked it up again and was able to complete the race in 35 minutes! I felt great! It's funny, only a month ago I was running one mile, now I had run 3.1. Amazing!

I really feel good about what I've accomplished and so glad that I did it. There were a few moments that were tough and I thought about stopping, but I didn't. There's a lesson in this; "if you have a goal, go for it. If you slow down, you'll get there, but if you stop you'll never reach it."

No comments:

Post a Comment